Some colleagues and I are presenting tomorrow at the latest Ontario Library Association Super Conference. Here's the info:
Friday 3:45 PM 5:00 PM
IF I KNEW THEN WHAT I KNOW NOW
John Dupuis, Acting Associate University Librarian, Information Services, York University; Tanis Fink, Director, Seneca Libraries, Seneca College; Amanda French, Manager, Sciences and Business Dept, Mississauga Library System; Klara Maidenberg, Virtual Reference Services & Assessment and Evaluation Librarian, Scholars Portal, OCUL; Zachary Osborne, Head Librarian, Toronto Botanical Garden; Jane Schmidt, Head, Collection Services, Ryerson University Library & Archives; Zoe Cliff, Information Management Analyst, Ontario Public Service.
Much of what is required for a successful career in the information profession is not taught in library school. The diverse panel will reflect on their own education, experience and career paths, and share tips for students on getting the most out of their degrees with advice for success in the field.
And huge thanks to friend and colleague Klara Maidenberg for organizing the session. It'll be great!
Some general sites that might not appear on the usual suspects lists:
- Hiring Librarians
- Letters to a Young Librarian
- Science of Blogging
- INALJ (I Need a Library Job)
- Using Social Media in Your Job Search
Some articles and blog posts with various bits of advice:
- Show up and be smart
- Avoid Obvious Mistakes
- Interview Attitudes
- The 'Be Yourself' Myth
- Top Executive Recruiters Agree There Are Only Three True Job Interview Questions
- Giving a Job Talk
- Prepping Grad Students for Jobs
- Why I Tossed Your Résumé
- Questions to ask your interviewers
- Common Misconceptions about Library Job Search: What I have learned from the other side of the table
- What Search Committees Wish You Knew
- Toughing It Out in a Tight Job Market
- Dear Future Colleagues
- Get the Job: Resume and Interview Tips
- Hacking the Academic Job Cover Letter
- Five Surprises from My Computer Science Academic Job Search
- How to write cover letters that stand out
- The Active Interview
- Kelsoe From Killawog With a Report from One Side of the Interview Table.
- The Ever-Evolving C.V.
- Getting a job 2.0
- On Googling Job Candidates
- Nailing the Library Interview
- Young people are screwed… Here’s how to survive
And of course, suggestions for relevant articles or resources are always welcome in the comments.
- Log in to post comments