"One cannot have too many good bird books"
--Ralph Hoffmann, Birds of the Pacific States (1927).
Here's this week's issue of the Birdbooker Report by Ian Paulsen, which lists bird and natural history books that are (or will soon be) available for purchase.
Fries, Waldemar H. The Double Elephant Folio: The Story of Audubon's Birds of America. 2006 (1973). Zenaida Publishing, Inc. Hardbound: 523 pages. Price: $84.95 US. SUMMARY: First published in 1973, this book is often called, "the Bible of Audubon scholars." This limited edition reprint of only 1,000 copies (fewer than 500 are still available) has a new appendix written by Audubon expert Susanne M. Low, who updates the original text. Zenaida Publishing offers a money-back guarantee on this book.
SPECIAL OFFER: Birdbooker Report readers can get $5.00 off the retail price by writing in the memo line of your check: Birdbooker Report for a total of $79.95 (plus $4.00 shipping). The offer lasts through April 2008. Please order the book from: Zenaida Publishing, 25 Station Road, Amherst, MA 01002.
Upper left: cover. Upper right: folios. Lower center: shipping box.
New and Recent Titles:
- Carlson, Douglas. Roger Tory Peterson: A Biography. 2007. University of Texas Press. Hardbound: 296 pages. Price: $24.95 US [Amazon: $16.47]. SUMMARY: An up-to-date biography of Roger Tory Peterson (1908-1996).
- Clements, James F. The Clements Checklist of Birds of the World: 6th edition. 2007. Cornell University Press. Hardbound: 843 pages. Price: $59.95 US [Amazon: $37.77]. SUMMARY: The official world checklist of the American Birding Association.
- Garrido, Orlando H. and Arturo Kirkconnell. Field Guide to the Birds of Cuba. 2000. Cornell University Press. Paperback: 253 pages. Price: $29.95 US [Amazon: $19.77]. SUMMARY: The first modern field guide for Cuban birds. [I own a copy of this title].
- Henderson, Carrol L. Oology and Ralph's Talking Eggs: Bird Conservation Comes Out of Its Shell. 2007. University of Texas Press. Hardbound: 177 pages. Price: $29.95 US [Amazon: $22.76]. SUMMARY: An account of Oology and its role in the origins of modern birding, ornithology, and bird conservation in North America. [I've emailed the publicity agent for a review copy].
- Wheeler, Brian K. Raptors of Western North America: The Wheeler Guide. 2003 (Paperback: 2007). Princeton University Press. Paperback: 544 pages. Price: $29.95 US [Amazon: $22.76]. SUMMARY: Also available in an Eastern edition.
Dover Publications is discounting the 2003 reprint of James T. Tanner's The Ivory-billed Woodpecker. This is the reprint I talked Dover into doing! It's now available for $5.98 (plus shipping) [Amazon: $11.21]. I guess the Ivory-billed Woodpecker craze is over! [Ian gave me this book as a Christmas gift].