Been a while since I wrote one of these. Here's what I did for fun this past weekend.
- Attended an afternoon scifi mini-convention at the Tech Museum, organised by my dear old Tolkien Society buddy and gaming group regular Carolina Gomez LagerlÃ¶f. I heard good talks by journalist JÃ¶rgen StÃ¤dje, scifi scholar Dr. Jerry MÃ¤Ã¤ttÃ¤, and gaming giants cum fantasy novelists Erik GranstrÃ¶m and Anders Blixt. And I gave a talk of my own on the prevalence of time-travel evidence in the archaeological record.
- Played Settlers of Catan and Qwirkle. I rarely get Settlers to the table because unlike me, most hardcore gamers played it to death years ago. I played it once back in the 90s and found it too austere and unthematic, but my taste has changed. Juniorette won this time and was very pleased.
- Had tea with old friends and dim sum with wife & daughter before taking in Junior's school's Christmas concert in the Franz Berwald Concert Hall. The youngsters sang really well and it was a joy to see how seriously they took the event.
What about you, Dear Reader? What did you do for fun this weekend?
- Log in to post comments
* I had an excellent dinner and did five-part singing for fun with some friends (well, four of them) at a friend's home in SkarpnÃ¤ck. Back home again, I spent some hours listening to records before receiving a booty call from Girl, who had been at her company's Christmas party.
* Spent most of Saturday with said Girl before cramming myself and two colleagues w/boyfriends into a rather smaller than advertised rental car, to go to Uppsala for my company's Christmas party. This was a low-key and very pleasant event at the home of our CEO.
* Cleaned house, met up with Girl again for some Christmas shopping in central Stockholm (i got a bargain price on a nice chandelier at the flea market on HÃ¶torget!), then sang in evening Mass with the Chamber Choir. We did a good job of the three interesting Christmas Motets by Poulenc - the fourth one is dull, so we left it out. Had a couple of beers afterwards, as is our wont.
Let there be no doubt that it was a good weekend.
I say that was a weekend well spent!
I am told that the "Broken Swords" game series is a classic (have not tried it myself).
Spent both Sunday and Monday getting my mom to emergency dental care -she has blood-thinning medicine, so after removing a tooth Friday the would started bleeding without drying up. Scary.
"The Franz Berwald Concert Hall" WTF? In my days we had to settle for singing at the local church. Or in the gym. Or in a cardboard box in the middle of the road while getting flogged (starts rant about the spoiled youth of today).
"Carolina Gomez LagerlÃ¶f"
Related to Selma?
Yes, Carolina tells me that she belongs to the Nyed branch of the LagerlÃ¶f family while Selma belonged to the MÃ¥rbacka branch.