"One cannot have too many good bird books"
--Ralph Hoffmann, Birds of the Pacific States (1927).
Here's this week's issue of the Birdbooker Report by Ian "Birdbooker" Paulsen, which lists ecology, environment, natural history, animal and bird books that are (or will soon be) available for purchase.
- Resh, Vincent H. and Ring T. Carde (editors). Encyclopedia of Insects. 2003. Academic Press. Hardbound: 1266 pages. Price: $114.00 U.S. [Amazon $91.20]. SUMMARY: A very detailed encyclopedia that anyone interested in insects will want to have!
New and Recent Titles:
- Garner, Martin and friends. Frontiers in Birding. 2008. BirdGuides Ltd. Paperback: 192 pages. Price: about $60.00 U.S. (plus shipping). SUMMARY: Although aimed for British birders, American birders will find the species identification accounts useful (the accounts are mostly of waterbirds though!).
- Haggard, Peter and Judy Haggard. Insects of the Pacific Northwest. 2006. Timber Press. Paperback: 296 pages. Price: $24.95 U.S. [Amazon: $16.47]. SUMMARY: A useful field guide to Pacific Northwest insects.
- Kirk, Ruth and Richard D. Daugherty. Archaeology in Washington. 2007. University of Washington Press. Paperback: 158 pages. Price: $26.95 U.S. [Amazon: $20.48]. SUMMARY: A well illustrated introduction to the archaeology of Washington State.
- Wheye, Darryl and Donald Kennedy. Humans, Nature, and Birds: Science Art from Cave Walls to Computer Screens. 2008. Yale University Press. Hardbound: 201 pages. Price: $37.50 U.S. UPDATE: This title is now available! [Amazon: $24.75].
A list of ecology, environment, natural history, animal and bird books that are (or will soon be) available for purchase.